The PowerTeaching curriculum for Grade 6 focuses on four main critical areas:
- connecting ratio and rate to whole number multiplication and division,
- building on computation and number knowledge to include the division of fractions as well as the idea and concept of negative numbers,
- writing, interpreting, and using expressions and equations to express mathematical concepts and ideas, and
- further developing the understanding of statistical thinking.
The Grade 6 PowerTeaching curriculum also includes instruction on secondary math concepts:
- writing, interpreting, and using simple inequalities to express mathematical concepts and ideas, and
- using area, volume, and surface area to solve real-world math problems.
PowerTeaching for Grade 6 continues to build student proficiency with the Standards for Mathematical Practice:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Click here to view a sample Grade 6 cycle of lessons.
Click here to view the Grade 6 Scope and Sequence.